In the steel and aluminum can industry, AFC has partnered with customers to develop solutions that increase efficiency, lower energy costs, and reduce spoilage.
High Performance PTFE Belting
AFC provides PTFE-coated mesh belting for two stages of the can manufacturing process: internal bake ovens (IBOs, also referred to as internal coating ovens) and can washer dry off ovens.
The inside of aluminum cans are sprayed with an epoxy coating to prevent corrosion and product interaction. IBOs then cure the epoxy at temperatures up to 400° F. Our DuraFlow® 27 series, which is comprised of PTFE-coated fiberglass, is designed to withstand demanding oven environments while improving air flow. Kevlar® substrate is used in our DuraFlow® 507 series for superior moisture resistance in dry off ovens.
Proprietary Seam: Micro-PEEK Spiral
In addition to belting, AFC offers a proprietary seam design for can manufacturing. The Micro-PEEK Spiral seam, comprised of high temperature plastic, is the thinnest option available. It was designed to address two common causes of downtime:
- Can tipping often occurs when the gap between the belt and dead plate is too large; a thin seam tightens this space.
- The buildup of a rusty brown deposit, condensate, shuts down ovens for maintenance. Micro-PEEK's easy removal and installation can reduce downtime from hours to 10-15 minutes once trained.
Why switch to PTFE over traditional stainless steel conveyors?
- Energy savings
- Reduced spoilage (cans tipping over at transfer points)
- Lower maintenance costs
- Elimination of metal particles and grease in the oven
- Lower belt replacement cost
- Faster can heat up, cool down and possible higher through-put
We are proud to offer continuous support for our customers via field service and technical training. Contact AFC for further information.
Products for Can Manufacturing
DuraFlow® Mesh Fabrics (27 & 28 Series)
DuraFlow® Mesh Fabrics are known for their exceptional performance in a wide variety of applications. Our proprietary coating formula has created a mesh that is...more
DuraFlow® Kevlar Mesh (507 Series)
DuraFlow® Kevlar® Mesh Fabrics are AFC's best option for any heavy duty application where extreme strength, high loading, and long wear life are required. The...more
DuraFlow® Hydro Mesh (856 Series)
AFC's DuraFlow® Hydro Mesh is the ideal material for applications that are exposed to significant moisture, grease, and oil levels. This thermoplastic mesh possesses high...more